Monday, November 9, 2009

#3. Always the bridesmaid. Never the bride.



There's something whimsical about this dress.

It's half bride, half bridesmaid.

The wraparound satin makes it look like the upper bodice of a wedding gown. But the flirty flowers at the bottom give it a sudden STOP before it blossoms into a fun and flirty, but strong minded dress.

When mags describe a dress as 'fun and flirty' I tend to think that whatever that article is made of, it'll tear at the slightest tug. And the woman who wears it, must be as delicate as the fabric.


But not this dress. It is fun and flirty but simply states its strength simultaneously. It is not uncomfortable with its femininity. It announces it without saying a word. One would never question the woman in this dress.

For someone who usually sticks to black/white, I have stepped out of my comfort zone in saying, that I absolutely LOVE it.

If I had an occassion to wear this, I would. (And I'd feverishly work out my armpit fat that never seems to go away! Tangent: You know in high school, someone convinced me that if I worked out my armpit fat, then my chest size would shrink... even MORE than it already was in its nonexistence at a pre-pubescent 16 years old! This is why I'm 25 and still have an ample amount of fat in that awkward region that forbids me from wearing anything strapless. I digress.)

The dress.
Loose hair.
Light makeup.
Pale thin strappy shoes.

And of course, a wonderful spray of the perfect perfume.

Season: Spring.

How could a girl go wrong?

Even as I sit here in my baggy grey sweats typing this out, I envision the dress transforming my surroundings into a garden that mimics that of a Monet painting.

And even though I cannot physically have that dress in my closet... the vision I have of it, makes me smile. Life's simple pleasures... and a balanced bank account. Win-win tonight.

If I have to be the last one of the group of gals I run with to get married, (and these days, it sounds like more of a blessing than a spinster-destined-curse), then so be it. Because I want to spend as many days in free-willed dresses such as these. Relishing every moment being wrapped up in it.






[Dress: Karen Millen (UK)]
[Painting: Garden Path - Claude Monet (1902)]

No comments:

Post a Comment